Frequency of Dengue Virus Serotype 1 in Lahore by In-house assay

Authors

  • Hajra Farooq Department of Virology and Molecular Biology, Chughtai Lab, Lahore, Pakistan
  • Waheed Uz Zaman Tariq Department of Virology and Molecular Biology, Chughtai Lab, Lahore, Pakistan.
  • Sadia Bano Department of Virology and Molecular Biology, Chughtai Lab, Lahore, Pakistan.
  • Ali Raza Department of Virology and Molecular Biology, Chughtai Lab, Lahore, Pakistan
  • Omar Rasheed Chughtai Department of Virology and Molecular Biology, Chughtai Lab, Lahore, Pakistan.
  • Muhammad Zaheer Iqbal Department of Virology and Molecular Biology, Chughtai Lab, Lahore, Pakistan

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.47391/JPMA.1038

Abstract

Abstract

Dengue is an important systemic viral infection that is caused by the dengue virus. Ribonucleic acid (RNA) from dengue NS1 positive samples, collected randomly during dengue epidemic from October 2016 to October 2017 at Chugtai Lab, was extracted for nucleic acid. Both the detection and serotyping of dengue samples were performed using real-time PCR on Rotor Gene Q. From the 70 NS1 positive samples, 57 (81.4%) samples were confirmed to be positive for dengue virus RNA, while the remaining 13 (18.6%) were negative. Serotype 1 (DEN-1) were verified among all samples by in-house assay and using commercial kit FTD (Fast Track Diagnostics) dengue differentiation; it was concluded that our in-house assay is in 100% concordance with commercial kit. Serotype 2 (DEN-2) and serotype 3 (DEN-3) have been documented in Pakistan since 1994. Continuous...

 

Published

2020-11-02

How to Cite

Hajra Farooq, Waheed Uz Zaman Tariq, Sadia Bano, Ali Raza, Omar Rasheed Chughtai, & Muhammad Zaheer Iqbal. (2020). Frequency of Dengue Virus Serotype 1 in Lahore by In-house assay. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.47391/JPMA.1038

Issue

Section

Short Communication / Short Report