Perception of massage application among clinicians and parents in spastic cerebral palsy: Qualitative Study

Authors

  • Iqra Tul Hussain Department of Physical Therapy, Sialkot Medical College, Sialkot, Pakistan
  • Qurat Ul Ain Department of Rehabilitation and Allied Health Sciences, Riphah International University, Lahore Campus, Pakistan
  • Misbah Waris Department of Rehabilitation and Allied Health Sciences, Riphah International University, Lahore Campus, Pakistan

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.47391/JPMA.2411

Abstract

Objective: To explore the perceptions about traditional massage and its modified techniques among clinicians and families of the patients with spastic cerebral palsy.

Method: The qualitative, cross-sectional study was conducted from November 2019 to August 2020 in Sialkot, Pakistan, after approval from the ethics review committee of Riphah College of Rehabilitation Sciences, Islamabad, and comprised neuro paediatricians and paediatricians in Group A, parents of children with spastic cerebral palsy aged 8-15 years in Group B, and musculoskeletal physiotherapists and orthopaedic manual physical therapists in Group C. The professionals in groups A and C had a minimum of 5-year paediatric experience in government and teaching hospitals. Data was collected using a semi-structured pilot-tested questionnaire. Qualitative approach and thematic code analysis was used to analyse the collected data.

Results: Of the 26 subjects, 10(38.5%) were in Group A, 8(30.7%) in Group B and 8(30.7%) in Group C. Overall, there were 16(61.4%) males and 10(38.5%) females. Among the professionals, experience ranged 5-38 years in Group A, and 5-9 years in Group C. The identified themes were reforms in recommendations, and application of massage techniques, with the participants overwhelmingly favouring termination markers to prevent increase in hypertonicity in spastic cerebral palsy.

Conclusion: Termination markers of massage should be considered in interventions to improve outcomes in children with spastic cerebral palsy.

Key Words: Cerebral palsy, Massage therapy, Perception, Swiss massage, Spasticity.

Author Biographies

Qurat Ul Ain, Department of Rehabilitation and Allied Health Sciences, Riphah International University, Lahore Campus, Pakistan

Contributions: Study Design and concept, Questionnaire Design, Critical Analysis, Final approval of the version to be published

Misbah Waris, Department of Rehabilitation and Allied Health Sciences, Riphah International University, Lahore Campus, Pakistan

Contribution: Critical Analysis, Data Interpretation

Published

2022-01-28

Issue

Section

Original Article